FireCooker Forums

air max 2011-Tennessee Football: Debunking Myths About the 2012 Volunteers

Posted: 23 July 2012 01:48 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2012-07-20

Andy Lyons/Getty Images
Had the Volunteers not digressed to the idiotic Wildcat offense after Tyler Bray completed a 44-yard bomb to Raijon Neal that put the Vols on the eight-yard line, it’s likely that the ball wouldn’t have been snapped over Neal’s head and been recovered by Kentucky. Tennessee could’ve punched it in with a more traditional play and taken an early 7-0 lead.

It was an elementary play call by Dooley and offensive coordinator Jim Chaney. But it was one play,Discount air max not an entire season.

The “halo effect” is well-documented. When the final result of a project (or season, in this case) is good, we feel that everything that happened within the project was also good. There’s no review of what could’ve been done better because the result was positive.

Similarly, Vol fans have put a halo around the entire 2011 season because of one terrible game at Kentucky. It was a dud. Let’s not destroy the whole season.

After all, had Tennessee found a way to pull it out, the Vols would’ve been bowl eligible. nike free shoesThey likely would’ve found themselves in the Liberty Bowl against Cincinnati or other similar opponent.

They throttled the Bearcats 45-23 earlier in the year. They probably win again, riding a wave of momentum and enthusiasm into the offseason.

Then what are we saying now? Is Dooley turning the corner instead of sitting on the hot seat? Is Bray a viable Heisman contender?

All because of one play, our hopes and expectations have changed. That’s a bit of an overreaction.

The Hype is Warranted

All I heard last week was that Tyler Bray looks like a monster having put on 30 pounds. Justin Hunter is feeling good. Antonio Richardson is a beast, and everyone is seeing that. Herman Lathers is back and finally healthy,nike air max shoes ready to watch Jacques Smith and Curt Maggitt play as outside linebackers in the 3-4.

Lathers also thought Bray could outdo a 4,000-yard/40 touchdown season.

All I heard was optimism! Even the downer Clay Travis (whose attitude reminds me of Randy Quaid in Major League 2) was raving about Bray’s size and the Vols’ potential. That’s when you know things are good, when Travis takes a moment to recognize a person other than Vanderbilt’s James Franklin.

I’m tired of talking about who is and isn’t on the hot seat. Six- and seven-win seasons are boring and should be left to the Mississippi schools and the occasional Kentucky/Vandy program. The Vols are better than we realize.

Josh Ward of Knoxville’s 99.1 FM Sports Animal made a great point at SEC Media Days.Nike free running shoes He said that just because last year’s results were down, doesn’t mean we should carry that same expectation into this year.

Conference contender? Not quite yet. But with just over a month until the season kickoff, air max 2011I’ve not heard such enthusiasm since 2005. The myths aren’t true, and the 2012 Vols are for real.