FireCooker Forums

1 of 2

Hosting cookouts

Posted: 01 June 2009 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2009-05-31

Do you prefer to host your own cookouts, or would you much rather go as a guest?  For me, I would rather go as a guest.  It’s cheaper and not as hectic!

Posted: 01 June 2009 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2009-05-31

There are certain advantages to being the host. You get your food cooked the way you want it, and you’ll never find that all that is left is that one sad, half-burned hot dog.

Posted: 02 June 2009 09:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2009-06-02

We haven’t entertained lately because we’ve been working on getting the back yard perfected, but I can’t wait to have folks over.

I prefer hosting because I know where the bathroom is, and don’t have to worry about having the energy to drive home after an afternoon and/or evening of socializing.

Posted: 08 June 2009 08:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  53
Joined  2009-06-04

I like hosting and attending events like that, but when I’m cooking I find it more stressful as the number of people grows. I get concerned about preparing the food well and not messing anything up.

Posted: 09 June 2009 05:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  68
Joined  2009-06-02
chris1203 - 01 June 2009 10:38 AM

Do you prefer to host your own cookouts, or would you much rather go as a guest?  For me, I would rather go as a guest.

I’m definitely with you and would rather go as a guest.  I like the more relaxed atmosphere and not having to be the one
“in charge” of everything.  I *do* like to help the host/hostess, though, because I know they’re going through all those
things that I don’t like going through when hosting.  grin

Posted: 09 June 2009 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2009-06-02

i love having lots of family and friends round at my house…  most of the ladies will bring like a dessert or a salad and help me with all the boring bits…

Posted: 09 June 2009 05:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  68
Joined  2009-06-02
stav - 09 June 2009 02:47 PM

i love having lots of family and friends round at my house…  most of the ladies will bring like a dessert or a salad and help me with all the boring bits…

That’s the best kind of bbq to have… one that you have some help with the food and then it turns
into a huge picnic with a lot more food than you could have prepared for everyone yourself.

Posted: 24 June 2009 01:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2009-05-31

I just went to an outdoor shindig this weekend and I asked the friend who was running the party about our topic. She laughed and said that by the time the cookout is halfway finished she’s three sheets to the wind and wouldn’t eat any of her own cooking at that point wink

Posted: 24 June 2009 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2009-06-02
heretoday - 24 June 2009 01:15 AM

I just went to an outdoor shindig this weekend and I asked the friend who was running the party about our topic. She laughed and said that by the time the cookout is halfway finished she’s three sheets to the wind and wouldn’t eat any of her own cooking at that point wink

LOL Heretoday… the hostess with the mostest eh? I tend not to drink at events ia m hosting… i feel that somebody should say sober and it wouldn’t be fair to expect the guests to!  Hubby always drives when we go out, so being at home is his only chance for a proper drink, so…... just me then smile

Posted: 15 September 2009 11:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-09-15

I like both.  I love to entertain and am at ease with serving large crowds.  I also like that I can drink and not have to worry about who’s driving home. 

On the other hand, I do like to be a guest as well.  You meet new people, have food that’s new to you, etc.

Posted: 16 September 2009 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2009-09-15

I wouldn’t mind hosting cookouts, but I live in a small apartment.  I have a backyard that’s large enough for me to keep and use 3 or 4 grills (I currently have 3), but it’s not large enough for a table where guests can sit around and eat.  Therefore, when I do host something like that, it’s a small get together with no more than a total of 4-6 people.

Posted: 27 September 2009 09:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2009-09-19

I like to host.  Maybe I’m a control freak or something smile  but I’d rather deal with others and their issues than drag mine all over.  Though I admit, when I go to others I’ve gotten some really cool ideas

Posted: 29 September 2009 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2009-09-18

I like to host. We usually have anywhere from 4-12 people and I generally have slow smoked meats. I do rarely grill, but most of the time it is slow cooked chicken, brisket, lamb, pork, salmon etc. Around here we love our old fashioned low and slow cooked BBQ. If it is hamburgers, hot dogs or some fish I go for he grill.

Posted: 04 October 2009 12:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-09-14

I’d really rather host a cook-out.  I get so much enjoyment out of cooking for others and I don’t have to worry about watching others use lighter fluid or commit someother BBQ mistake.

But mustly it’s about the joy of cooking for others…

The BBQ Grail
Rocklin, CA

Posted: 08 October 2009 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2009-04-22
The BBQ Grail - 04 October 2009 12:33 AM

I’d really rather host a cook-out.  I get so much enjoyment out of cooking for others and I don’t have to worry about watching others use lighter fluid or commit someother BBQ mistake.

I agree with The BBQ Grail—I can’t stand going to a cookout and seeing BBQ sins committed like raw chicken carelessness sick

Posted: 15 October 2009 07:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2009-09-15

My favorite is having everyone bring their specialty to share, grilled or not. I get to impress the non-grillers with some unusual appetizer and I also learn new ideas from others.

1 of 2

‹‹ New grill vs old one?      Entertainment? ››