FireCooker Forums

1 of 2

Entertainment?

Posted: 01 June 2009 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2009-05-31

After a nice dinner, our friends get out their guitars and we have a nice sing-song. There’s lots of laughter and more than a few bum notes. What entertainment do you have after dinner?

Posted: 02 June 2009 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2009-06-02

Most of our gatherings involve a lot of conversation, but every once in a while someone breaks out a Dumbek and a wood flute.

Posted: 03 June 2009 05:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  68
Joined  2009-06-02
heretoday - 01 June 2009 04:21 PM

After a nice dinner, our friends get out their guitars and we have a nice sing-song. There’s lots of laughter and more than a few bum notes. What entertainment do you have after dinner?

Just talk mostly after a backyard cookout for us and the extended family and friends.
If you wait long enough, surely a game of some kind of sport will be starting.  grin

Posted: 03 June 2009 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2009-06-02

tend to sit around picking at the food and yakking for ages, then desserts… then more drinks…. then playing silly games… then probably ending up with a card game later in the evening, along with more chit chat, music, maybe some dancing…

Posted: 04 June 2009 04:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2009-06-02

We have this singing game where you have to sing a song that begins with the last letter of the song sung previously so if you are singing do…a dear a female dear…the next song has to then start with the letter r….
It is actually lot of fun….especially with thegroup of friends.

Posted: 04 June 2009 08:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-02
stav - 03 June 2009 04:34 PM

tend to sit around picking at the food and yakking for ages, then desserts… then more drinks…. then playing silly games… then probably ending up with a card game later in the evening, along with more chit chat, music, maybe some dancing…

This sounds like fun… especially the desserts part!  Silly games are the very best kind.  It’s been
live forever since I’ve played cards, though… what are your favorite card games?

Posted: 04 June 2009 09:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  53
Joined  2009-06-04

We’d usually get wrapped up in conversations. Playing music is also a distinct possibility, although we’d probably play CDs. I remember when I was a kid, we’d hear ghost stories or what we now know to be urban myths.

I’d love to get into some live music around a campfire, but so far it hasn’t happened, even though I play some guitar.

Posted: 04 June 2009 03:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2009-05-31
atula - 04 June 2009 04:22 AM

We have this singing game where you have to sing a song that begins with the last letter of the song sung previously so if you are singing do…a dear a female dear…the next song has to then start with the letter r….
It is actually lot of fun….especially with thegroup of friends.

atula, I love your game! I am going to propose that at our next cookout!  The guitar players will sometimes play songs, and if we can’t guess what it is there is some silly penalty, like getting a beer for the guitarists. If someone does know the song they get to sing the verses and everyone else sings the chorous.

Posted: 04 June 2009 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2009-06-02

Katharina, we are a mercenery bunch and our card games usually involve money! Poker or a greek version of 10 card rummy, with very complicated rules…

Posted: 05 June 2009 06:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-02
Taggart - 04 June 2009 09:07 AM

We’d usually get wrapped up in conversations. Playing music is also a distinct possibility, although we’d probably play CDs. I remember when I was a kid, we’d hear ghost stories or what we now know to be urban myths.

I remember those ghost stories, too… absolutely.  And I remember the one that my cousin Tim scared me with
so badly that it haunted me for years after.  grin

Posted: 05 June 2009 08:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-04
heretoday - 04 June 2009 03:09 PM

The guitar players will sometimes play songs, and if we can’t guess what it is there is some silly penalty, like getting a beer for the guitarists.

I can see that game spiraling downward after a few missed guesses. Just kidding…

It would probably be a different mood than a lot of the things mentioned above, but wouldn’t it be great to be by a campfire on a clear night with a telescope?

Posted: 07 June 2009 06:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-02
Taggart - 05 June 2009 08:56 AM

It would probably be a different mood than a lot of the things mentioned above, but wouldn’t it be great to be by a campfire on a clear night with a telescope?

Oooh now there’s something that sounds wonderful to me.  It’s so rare that I actually take the time to pay attention
to things like the beautiful stars.  That would be such a calming activity after a full day of camping.

Posted: 07 June 2009 08:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-04

Even if you don’t have a telescope, sometimes you can see an impressive amount of more detail using binoculars. I’m sure a telescope would be much better, but if you happen to have a pair of binoculars in your pack, it would probably be worth getting them out and looking at some stars.

I haven’t tried that in years.

Posted: 08 June 2009 04:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-06-02

I just love llooking at the sky..just like that and trying to identify the constellations…it is amazing how engrossed one can become and how many things you CAN see up there…from bear to spoons to archer to just about anything…...

Posted: 08 June 2009 09:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-02
atula - 08 June 2009 04:58 AM

I just love llooking at the sky..just like that and trying to identify the constellations…it is amazing how engrossed one can become and how many things you CAN see up there…from bear to spoons to archer to just about anything…...

This sounds lovely.  Before we moved five years ago, there were so many huge trees around the house that we never were
able to see the stars from the house… and now that I *can* see them, I usually forget to look.  I’d love to see the stars from
a place that wasn’t so light-polluted, though.

Posted: 09 June 2009 06:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-06-02

My father had this grand old telescope he used to take whenever we were otside and help us see the moon and stars so close…that they looked like altogether different things….that helped me appreciate the beuty of the outdoors i believe..

1 of 2

‹‹ Hosting cookouts      Gas or Charcoal? ››