FireCooker Forums

Gas or Charcoal?

Posted: 02 June 2009 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2009-06-02

Many friends have gas grills and appreciated the convenience but we have an “old fashioned” grill and use charcoal for cooking.

I really think cooking with charcoal is more in keeping with the “flavor” of the outdoor barbecue, and that using gas is no different than cooking on the gas stove indoors.

Which do you prefer?  Do you think the fuel used for cooking alters the taste of the food?

Posted: 10 June 2009 07:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  53
Joined  2009-06-04

It’s been a long time since I had food cooked over charcoal, but I’d expect that would cook it more evenly.

I think cooking over gas outdoors may be different if you didn’t use cookware and just put the food on the grill, as opposed to typically using pans over gas indoors?

Posted: 10 June 2009 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2009-06-02

Personally, I think that if you are going to use gas to grill, then you might as well cook it on your stove in the house.

Posted: 11 June 2009 08:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  53
Joined  2009-06-04
stav - 10 June 2009 02:53 PM

Personally, I think that if you are going to use gas to grill, then you might as well cook it on your stove in the house.

I think most of the BBQs I see are the propane kind and I can’t think of any friends or family that use charcoal these days.

I assume charcoal cooking is still going strong in some areas?

‹‹ Entertainment?      Souvla rools ok! ››