FireCooker Forums

The Marguerita Altar

Posted: 02 June 2009 09:47 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2009-06-02

We attended a Barbecue last year where, instead of having the standard bar, the hosts set up a self serve, “Marguerita Altar” complete with blender and goddess statue. Each element used to make a drink were placed at the appropriate compass point.

This probably wouldn’t work for everyone because you’d probably need to be pagan and/or Wiccan to understand the altar, but is sure was creative!

Posted: 08 June 2009 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  53
Joined  2009-06-04

I’ve never seen anything quite like that, but once at a party I saw a huge block of ice with holes drilled into it. It was used to chill and mix martinis. They poured the gin and vermouth into the holes and the liquids traveled through the network of holes to the same glass. I forget exactly how many “passageways” were in the ice, but there were different flavours available. That was unique.

Posted: 08 June 2009 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2009-06-02
Taggart - 08 June 2009 08:49 AM

I’ve never seen anything quite like that, but once at a party I saw a huge block of ice with holes drilled into it. It was used to chill and mix martinis. They poured the gin and vermouth into the holes and the liquids traveled through the network of holes to the same glass. I forget exactly how many “passageways” were in the ice, but there were different flavours available. That was unique.

My friends had to explain the Margarita Altar to me, but I bet that explanation was easier than what was involved with the Martinis!

Posted: 08 June 2009 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2009-05-31

Two completely different ways to “serve” drinks to partiers. I especially like the altar idea; you could do a Santeria job and make the focal point of the altar the Saint whose day the party happened on.
I love parties where the hosts do that extra magic touch to make their guests feel really welcome.

Posted: 08 June 2009 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2009-06-02

I have never heard of a margarita alter either… but i am willing to learn…..  :D

Posted: 09 June 2009 08:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-04

This reminds me of a BBQ I was at once, where there was a water melon that had been hollowed out a few days before and filled with vodka and fruit cocktail.

It tasted good, plus it obviously had the adult beverage “kick” as well.

Posted: 10 June 2009 05:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2009-06-02

all these ideas…seem really neat….I liked the margarita idea…and i saw something similar…not done with ice but glasses placed in such a way and connected with strong pipes..that the liquid travelled from one glass to another….and finally in the serving glass…..it was not a party but a restaurant….actually.

Posted: 10 June 2009 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2009-05-31
Taggart - 09 June 2009 08:11 AM

This reminds me of a BBQ I was at once, where there was a water melon that had been hollowed out a few days before and filled with vodka and fruit cocktail.

It tasted good, plus it obviously had the adult beverage “kick” as well.

Taggart, I remember, years and years ago, being at a party where the vodka was “steeped” in a watermelon. Holy crows, but I got hammered! Watermelon is a weakness of mine, I was really drinking it for the taste, but then the alcohol kicked in!!!!

Posted: 17 June 2009 09:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-04
heretoday - 10 June 2009 02:44 PM

Taggart, I remember, years and years ago, being at a party where the vodka was “steeped” in a watermelon. Holy crows, but I got hammered! Watermelon is a weakness of mine, I was really drinking it for the taste, but then the alcohol kicked in!!!!

Yeah, that can happen. I’ve also heard of people injecting vodka into oranges to take to a baseball game.

And I’ve heard of a champagne fountain similar to the glasses mentioned above that went between layers of a wedding cake.

Posted: 15 September 2009 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-09-15

Any photos of the margarita alter?

‹‹ Show us yours...      Sandwich Molds? ››