FireCooker Forums

BBQ Starter Fluid?

Posted: 02 June 2009 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2009-05-31

At least where we live, it’s been outlawed because of the stuff it sends into the air, if I understand correctly. My question: do you use the fluid, or do you get your fire started in some other way?

Posted: 06 June 2009 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2009-04-21

Never use fluid.  It adds a nasty taste to your food.  I’ve been using my charcoal chimney starter for years now.

In fact, here is a video that best explains it.

Posted: 06 June 2009 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2009-06-02

nope, we have never used fluid. zip firelighters are good,  if you need something to get it going.. I just use a large tin can with no bottom as a chimney to start ours..

Posted: 07 June 2009 03:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2009-05-31

I remember those charcoal starter chimneys, now that you mention it.  Can anyone tell me if those “match light” charcoal are really as easy to light as it appears? It seems you set a match to one and a small fire ensues right off the bat. Can it really be that simple?

Posted: 08 June 2009 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2009-06-02

I grew up with adults using lighter fluid to get cook fires started.  I never noticed any residual taste but then people don’t notice the harm substances do if they are raised with them being used on a regular basis.

Now, the hubs and I tend to use paper to get a BBQ going, instead of fluid.

Posted: 15 September 2009 11:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2009-09-15

The folks at Packaging Service Co. (makers of Frontier and Jack Daniel’s charcoal) sent me a bunch of stuff to review for my blog. Among them, they sent me a bottle of Frontier® Eco-Start® Charcoal Lighter Fuel

Eco-Start® is a 100% natural, non-petroleum based lighter gel. It is a safe and clean-fuel alternative to traditional lighter fluid. This earth-friendly gel is made from renewable energy sources. Smokeless and odorless, Eco-Start® keeps fumes out of the cooking area and the petroleum taste away from the food. Since it’s a gel, there’s no splash when applying or flare-ups when lighting.

I’ve used it many times in a standard Weber chimney and I love the stuff! You add a few coals, lay on a ribbon of the gel (maybe 2-3 tablespoons), then add some more coals and light. There were no fumes and it fired right up.

It’s made largely from ethanol and cellulose fiber.

The product is available at the following retailers, at a suggested retail of $4.99-$5.99:

Ace Hardware (and acehardwareoutlet.com)
Brookshire Grocery
Meijer
Raley’s
Whole Foods

John

Posted: 16 September 2009 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2009-09-15

I use a chimney starter with newspaper.  Never had any trouble getting things started that way.  I do try to time things so that the charcoal is ready when all my prep work is done so I’m not standing around waiting on charcoal to light.

Posted: 03 January 2012 08:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-12-21

Поздровляем вас с Новым 2012 годом и желаем вам счастья и радости, блогаполучия в работе. 
В сех с Новым 2012 годом.
http://ves-group.ru/tag/informatsiya-o-saunah