FireCooker Forums

1 of 2

Potato Salad!

Posted: 11 June 2009 08:07 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  68
Joined  2009-06-02

Okay, we all know that a cookout isn’t really a genuine cookout without potato salad, right?  grin

How do you make yours?  Is it just a basic recipe with mayo and not much else?  Or much
more elaborate with a cooked dressing like mine is?

Posted: 14 June 2009 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  53
Joined  2009-06-04

Any time I’ve made potato salad, it’s been basic with mayo.

I’ve heard of a warm version - Maybe German Potato Salad? Has anybody here had it warm?

I’d like to try making it and adding some sweet potatoes.

Posted: 14 June 2009 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-02
Taggart - 14 June 2009 10:05 AM

I’ve heard of a warm version - Maybe German Potato Salad? Has anybody here had it warm?

I’ve had warm German potato salad and I don’t like it.  Too vinegary for one thing… but even if it weren’t
for that, it just doesn’t “seem right” for potato salad to be warm.

Posted: 14 June 2009 07:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2009-06-02

greek style potato salad…

add salt, olive oil, lemon juice and chopped spring onion and coriander to roughly mashed potato…

or another way i like it is to use charlotte salad potatoes, (little ones) boil them up with their skin on, leaving them a little ‘al dente’

chop spring onion and coriander… then get some smoked bacon slices and cut them up into cubes, lightly fry them, then add to the salad…  olive oil.. vinegar….

Posted: 15 June 2009 07:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-02
stav - 14 June 2009 07:37 PM

greek style potato salad…

add salt, olive oil, lemon juice and chopped spring onion and coriander to roughly mashed potato…

or another way i like it is to use charlotte salad potatoes, (little ones) boil them up with their skin on, leaving them a little ‘al dente’

chop spring onion and coriander… then get some smoked bacon slices and cut them up into cubes, lightly fry them, then add to the salad…  olive oil.. vinegar….

Both of these sound very good, stav, and thank you for sharing the recipes.  I really need to expand my
potato salad recipe selection… it’s such a staple during the hot months.  I cook the potatoes in the early
morning so it’s not really a heat problem with running the stove to cook potatoes.

Posted: 15 June 2009 08:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-02

we love all sorts of potato salad.. but not big on mayonaise really… its too sticky and the mayo is overpowering… rarely make it that way.  The coriander adds a more delicate flavour and the potato soaks up the goodness of the olive oil and vinegar/lemon…

Posted: 16 June 2009 02:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2009-06-02

I made this yesterday…1. take some baby potaotes and par boil them
2. cut them into half with the skin on
3. In a grinder take whole dried red chillies, few garlics, salt pepper, dried oregano and churn.
4. Now add the above to the potatoes with a little cream.

It tastes quite hot and yummy.

Posted: 16 June 2009 06:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-02
atula - 16 June 2009 02:15 AM

3. In a grinder take whole dried red chillies, few garlics, salt pepper, dried oregano and churn.

This sounds very good, atula.  I’ve never had potato salad with red chilies, but I think I’d like
it a lot.  I don’t know what “churn” is as an ingredient.  Would it maybe be called something
else in America?

Posted: 16 June 2009 03:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2009-05-31

I have to admit that this is quite naughty nutritionally, but I’ll use the peels making broth, so I guess it evens out anyway. I peel the potatoes and boil gently with a good amount of garlic, until just done. I use a good amount of eggs as the family likes it that. I’ll use a dozen to a dozen good size potatoes. I’ll make a generous cube cutting them. I slice a couple of celery ribs very thin, a bunch of green onions as well (and probably add a bit of dried onion later when I mix it. I’ll slice a mixture of sweet and dill pickles, to taste. Spices: dill, season salt, black pepper, and paprika dusted over the top of the salad when finished. Mayo, quite a bit because you’re making a monster batch here. Sometimes I’ll slice some black olives to include, but not all the time.

Posted: 16 June 2009 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-02
Katharina - 16 June 2009 06:15 AM
atula - 16 June 2009 02:15 AM

This sounds very good, atula.  I’ve never had potato salad with red chilies, but I think I’d like
it a lot.  I don’t know what “churn” is as an ingredient.  Would it maybe be called something
else in America?

ROFLMAO Katharina… if I am right, methinks Atula means churn as in ‘mix’.... like in the grinder….  :D

Posted: 17 June 2009 04:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-06-02

thanks stav….for the note….I really meant using the grinder as in churning….......wink

Posted: 17 June 2009 06:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-02
atula - 17 June 2009 04:34 AM

thanks stav….for the note….I really meant using the grinder as in churning….......wink

Hehehe   I’m glad I didn’t go to all the cooking stores in the area asking for “dried
oregano and churn.”  grin  Well NOW I can make your recipe knowing that I won’t have
to be adding that elusive herb of “churn” atula.  :-D

Posted: 17 June 2009 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-02

heheheheh.. that really made me laugh Katharina… you silly moo.. 

Atula your recipe sounds good.. not sureabout the red chillies though.. I would be the only one that ate the salad… actually.. that’s not such a BAD idea… wink

Posted: 18 June 2009 01:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-06-02

Actually we are also not that fond of chillies…so I was initially a little apprehensive…but when I made it…it really turned out so well..I think the cream does the trick..it subtles down the spice of the chillies.

Posted: 18 June 2009 05:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-02
atula - 18 June 2009 01:34 AM

Actually we are also not that fond of chillies…so I was initially a little apprehensive…but when I made it…it really turned out so well..I think the cream does the trick..it subtles down the spice of the chillies.

That’s what I was thinking it might do, yes.  I really need to make this because it sounds so
unique and would make a great side dish for a lot of entrees.  Do you have anything in particular
that you enjoy serving it with?

Posted: 19 June 2009 11:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2009-05-31
stav - 17 June 2009 03:15 PM

heheheheh.. that really made me laugh Katharina… you silly moo.. 

Atula your recipe sounds good.. not sureabout the red chillies though.. I would be the only one that ate the salad… actually.. that’s not such a BAD idea… wink

LOL you guys! Have a care for someone just taking a drink of ice tea; I just about choked!!!! That or shorted out the monitor…dried churn, well I never….!

1 of 2