FireCooker Forums

Tell Me About Independence Day!

Posted: 11 June 2009 08:09 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  68
Joined  2009-06-02

Everyone planning a cookout for the 4th?  It’s getting closer, ya know!

What will you serve?

I think it will be just burgers for us… probably stuff like salads, chips, iced
tea… and watermelon.  Oh how I get hungry for good watermelon!  grin

Posted: 11 June 2009 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2009-05-31

We’ll go for something quick to grill…veggieburger patties or veggiedogs, some homemade potato salad, nice watermelon (if we can find any, yer!)
Then it’s down to the docks for fireworks! One smaller display for the locals the 3rd, and then the extravaganza on the 4th for the tourists. We see both!

Posted: 15 June 2009 08:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  53
Joined  2009-06-04

I’ll be wishing our American neighbors a happy and safe celebration of their big day. Here in Canada, we’ll celebrate Canada Day on the 1st of July.

We’ll probably walk down by the boardwalk on the lake and check out the boats, beach volleyball or possibly a drum circle. There are skulls and dragon boats that use the lake for practice and competitions.

Posted: 21 June 2009 12:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2009-06-02

Unless we are invited for a gathering, we tend to stay at home and listen to the fire works from the stadium, that’s about a mile away, and have popcorn while watching a movie, inside..

Posted: 22 June 2009 06:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-02
Twiceshy - 21 June 2009 12:56 PM

Unless we are invited for a gathering, we tend to stay at home and listen to the fire works from the stadium, that’s about a mile away, and have popcorn while watching a movie, inside..

I can see fireworks from our windows, too, and that’s something I enjoy about where we live
now.  Otherwise I don’t think we’ll do anything in particular for the holiday except the customary
grilling out.

Posted: 22 June 2009 06:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  53
Joined  2009-06-04

I forget if there are sporting events on the afternoon of that day, but there must be, right?

And I know someone who sometimes drags his huge flatscreen TV outside into the backyard so he can watch the game as he’s grilling his food. That sounds like an idea if the weather’s good.

Posted: 22 June 2009 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2009-05-31

We used to live in a town where there was a minor league baseball stadium. They’d play a game, and then everyone could come out and sit on the grass, and they let off fireworks. If you got bored with them, you could turn 45 degrees or so and see another fireworks show that was being had not that far away!

Posted: 22 June 2009 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2009-06-02

Well i am not in the US but our (US based) company have given us all the 3rd July off as an extra holiday so we can make a long weekend of it. Jolly kind of them i say…

Posted: 23 June 2009 05:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-02
Taggart - 22 June 2009 06:48 AM

And I know someone who sometimes drags his huge flatscreen TV outside into the backyard so he can watch the game as he’s grilling his food. That sounds like an idea if the weather’s good.

This sounds like a fun idea but it really gave me a funny visual.  I’m sure it’s a lot better than
dragging the gas grill into the living room, eh?  wink

Posted: 23 June 2009 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2009-06-02

eh? what’s wrong with that? come the World Cup next summer, there will be many bbqs at our house while the football is on… TV will be dragged out tot he deck, and the lads will watch the game while the food cooks…