FireCooker Forums

Corn on The Cob… In the Husk

Posted: 15 June 2009 08:37 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  53
Joined  2009-06-04

It’s been a long time, but we used to get corn on the cob, peel back the husks and remove the “silk” strands, put butter on the kernels, tie back the husks in place and cook it on the barbecue.

That was a nice change from boiling or steaming the cobs. Has anybody else done this, or have a variation of this?

Posted: 15 June 2009 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2009-06-15

Yep, did it last weekend. We peeled the husks back and removed the strands, then filled up the sink and soaked the corn and husks for about an hour before putting them on the grill. About halfway through grilling, we brushed the cobs with parsley butter and the result was heaven.

Posted: 15 June 2009 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2009-05-31

Two great ideas for corn on the cob!  Boiling them on the stove isn’t the best preparation for them; I like your ways better!

Posted: 15 June 2009 08:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2009-06-02

when we were kids, we used to love corn on the cob on the grill… in Athens they used to sell it on the street… vendors with little wheeled charcoal burners would set up on street corners and sell them to passersby with a little salt on them…. yum…

Posted: 16 June 2009 02:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2009-06-02
stav - 15 June 2009 08:05 PM

when we were kids, we used to love corn on the cob on the grill… in Athens they used to sell it on the street… vendors with little wheeled charcoal burners would set up on street corners and sell them to passersby with a little salt on them…. yum…

They used to sell it this way in India too…but sudeenly I have seen mor people preferring the boiled version than the burned way….I loved it when it was raining and my mom used to do the corn on the cobs on charcoal….

Posted: 18 June 2009 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2009-06-13

Our neighbor cooks corn on the cob using aluminum foil and ice cubes.

He sets the ears of corn, husks removed, on aluminum foil and places the ice cubes on top of the corn, then closes the foil around the ice and corn cob after adding a little salt and pepper.

He throws the packets on the coals for about 15 or 20 minutes.

It is awesome!

Posted: 16 September 2009 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2009-09-15

I like to remove the husks, or at least peel them back and tie them like handles.  I grill them direct for about 12 minutes, brushing them with a compound butter each time I turn them a little.  The kernels start turning that nice golden-brown color, and I find this method really brings out the sweetness of the corn.  This is my most frequently requested side dish by far.

I’ve never tried grilling in the husks, but I know many people love that method and swear by it.  One of the great things about BBQ & grilling is there’s not necessarily a wrong or right way most of the time, so use what you like or what works for you cool smile

Posted: 19 October 2009 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-09-15
stav - 15 June 2009 08:05 PM

Stav - when we were kids we loved the corn at the Greek Labor Day picnic at our church. Grilled corn in the husk then they would dip the whole ear in melted butter..opa!

Posted: 28 October 2009 10:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-10-08

We like to soak them in ice water for 30 minutes or so the throw them right on the grill (away from the coals, not directly over) with the husks and silk intact.  They generally take about 30 minutes to cook and get turned twice.  The husks and silk come right off, and in our opinion there is no better way to cook corn.

Posted: 20 November 2009 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-11-20
zydecopaws - 28 October 2009 10:46 PM

We like to soak them in ice water for 30 minutes or so the throw them right on the grill (away from the coals, not directly over) with the husks and silk intact.  They generally take about 30 minutes to cook and get turned twice.  The husks and silk come right off, and in our opinion there is no better way to cook corn.

We do it the same way, not in ice water though, what effect does that have on the corn?  We also find that you need to let things cool down a bit after you pull off the grill, that corn and silk is pretty hot! It is also cool to through this over the direct heat sometimes and watch closely until you get a browning effect on them, the caramelized taste is delicious!

Posted: 20 November 2009 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-10-08
bbqproshop - 20 November 2009 11:16 AM

We do it the same way, not in ice water though, what effect does that have on the corn?  We also find that you need to let things cool down a bit after you pull off the grill, that corn and silk is pretty hot! It is also cool to through this over the direct heat sometimes and watch closely until you get a browning effect on them, the caramelized taste is delicious!

I’ve never noticed any negative impact from soaking the corn in ice water.  Except for the very rare occasion where we get a bad ear and didn’t notice it before cooking, the corn always comes out very crisp and sweet.  I rarely put anything on it when cooked like this; it really doesn’t need it.  As you noted above, you do have a wait a few minutes (or get out the oven mitts) for it to cool down as the husk and silk stay real hot.

Posted: 30 November 2009 09:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-09-16

When I soak them in water I add sugar and sea salt to it.  Then I let them soak for about 4 hours and then right on the grill.

Posted: 31 March 2012 10:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-03-31

Some truly nice and useful information on this internet site , likewise I believe the style and design has got excellent features.

Posted: 01 April 2012 08:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-04-01

It is the only way to eat corn on the cob as far as I am concerened.I cant do back to boiling it

Posted: 03 April 2012 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-04-03

I do it that way, but after I pull them off, I take the husks and silk off of them and return to grill to get a little smoke and color on them.

‹‹ Wood chips for BBQs?      breaking bread ››