FireCooker Forums

Pulled Pork

Posted: 16 June 2009 08:54 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  53
Joined  2009-06-04

I like pulled pork sandwiches, but I really don’t have a recipe for it.

The best I’ve ever had was slow cooked on a large BBQ using the whole pig. It just shredded so easily and was delicious.

Does anyone here have a recipe for it?

Posted: 16 June 2009 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2009-06-02

yuuuuuuummmmm I really like that too.. but you can rarely get it over here… would love to make it myself… so come on… we need a recipe!

Posted: 17 June 2009 06:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  68
Joined  2009-06-02
Taggart - 16 June 2009 08:54 AM

I like pulled pork sandwiches, but I really don’t have a recipe for it.
The best I’ve ever had was slow cooked on a large BBQ using the whole pig. It just shredded so easily and was delicious.

I wish I *did* have a recipe like that!  It sounds wonderful.  I saw a recipe once for some kind of award
winning bbq that I think had honey in it, but I don’t think I kept the recipe.  Not sure it was pulled pork but
I did try it once and it was delicious.

Posted: 17 June 2009 08:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  53
Joined  2009-06-04

The last time I tried to improvise it, I slow cooked pork loin wrapped in parchment with some pepper in a roasting pan. When it was done, I pulled it apart with a fork, trying to shred it and mixed it with some warm barbecue sauce.

It was good, but I’d be interested in a more genuine recipe.

Posted: 27 September 2009 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2009-09-19

The best (and cheapest) pulled pork comes from the shouldper. Now in my parts I can’t get a whole pork shoulder, so I get either the ‘picnic’ or ‘boston’ butt.  These range anywhere from 6-12 pounds each, with 8 being pretty typical.

The picnic looks la little like a leg- it’s got a bone protruding and skin on it.  The boston butt has no skin and also has a big bone in it (though it doesn’t stick out like the picnic.

For both, you can do in the oven if you don’t have a smoker.  Rub it down with your favorite bbq seasoning (obviously mine is SKippyP’s BBQ Rub cool smile ) and cook at 225-250.  If you have a meat thermometer look for the internal temp to be about 195 for it to be done.  On the boston cut if you can grab the bone (which will start to stick out as the meat shrinks) and you can start to twist it free, it’s done!

on 8 pounds you should yield about 4-5 depending on how picky you are about fat and connective tissue..

But after it’s cooked let it sit for about 2 hours on the counter (covered in foil).  Then take 2 forks and pull it apart.  shoudl pull very nicely.

I’m happy to clarify or answer any other questions on this!

Posted: 21 February 2013 12:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-02-21

really I like it , but where I got it?