FireCooker Forums

thin and sad brisket techniques

Posted: 19 September 2009 08:32 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2009-09-19

I’ve often wondered how others deal wiht a brisket that has a real thin section.  When I’m buying case lots I don’t have a lot of choice in picking the meat.  Sam’s always ends up sticking me with a couple that are real thick at point and have flaps on the flat that are too thin.

I’ve tried folding them under, but it just ruin the look and the bark.  I personally like to chew on these parts, but for catering it’s a waste.  I do use them in beans (chopped up)... but that’s not the point.  I’d like to know what others do to maximize yield from a brisket that otherwise would have a good sized flap of meat that overcooks and would be waste.

Posted: 19 September 2009 09:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2009-04-22

Do have a good butcher shop in your area?  Brisket is an inexpensive cut of meat and they can get you the piece you need.  Butchers shops generally provide better quality meat than bulk retailers.

Posted: 19 September 2009 10:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-09-19

There’s no butcher in my area that can touch bulk prices.  I like to support the little guy, but we’re talking catering not home use.  When you start talking cases butchers aren’t going to touch them.  Heck, even the local meat shops don’t let you pick your cases.  They get stuck with odd ones and they have to sell them, too.

Posted: 19 September 2009 11:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Rank
Joined  2009-04-22

Understood - so if your cuts are thin, you’re missing that important fat layer.  If you are doing catering, you definitely know a lot more than I do, but I’ve had success with thin cuts by keeping them off to the side (for a lower temp) and using a bacon fat mop to keep the brisket juicy. 

It makes the brisket taste a little different - but it’s bacon so of course it tastes great.  I can’t find the mop recipe I’ve done before… 

Does anybody have a good brisket mop?

Posted: 19 September 2009 11:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Rank
Joined  2009-04-22

You’re right about folding the brisket—I’ve tried that a few times and it’s not the answer. 

Have you tried to offset the brisket by using heavy foil or a broiler-type pan to keep those thin parts away from the heat?

Posted: 29 September 2009 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2009-09-18

Skippyp:

If you are smoking them in a FEC, Smokin or Tom should be able to help you over in the Cookshack forum!!
I only use Choice or better full packers.
I know Sams or Costco won’t let you pick from the case lots!
I usually probe the point, check the brisket at 190-193*, if the flat is ready pull out the brisket and then seperate the flap and put the point back in till it reaches about 215-225*. I usually do them in my AmeriQue which keeps the meat really moist!

Posted: 29 September 2009 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-09-19

thanks tigerfan… I understand ya, but I’m talking about the flat having a little flap on it.  If I could post a picture I would mad  to shoudl what I’m talking about.

I guess I’ll have to quit being lazy and go back to restaurant depot for their superios angus briskets.  I just hate the 40minute drive each way on a saturday morning!

Posted: 30 September 2009 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2009-09-18

skippyp:

At least you have a decent place to pick them up!! Up here full packers in choice grade are hard to find. I was in Houston a few weeks back for a Bat Mitzvah and was going to look for a few nice briskets but got tied uo and did not get to a any markets!
Good luck.
Your web sight is great!