FireCooker Forums

3 cases brisket and a wee lil piggy

Posted: 25 September 2009 08:26 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2009-09-19

got 3 cases of briskets going and a 30# suckling pig for tomorrow.  I figure I’m going to remove the membrane form the ribs and rub the whole thing internally real good with my rub.

question:  any treatment for the skin?  I figured I’d rub a little oil on it, but that’s it.  Any other techinques on handling Ms. Piggy?  I’m going to cook it avity UP at first to let the juices and rub marinate.  then when the skin looks good I’ll foil it and flip her over to finish.

this is my first whole pig, so suggestions are welcome.

FWIW this is going on an FEC500 with hickory.

Posted: 26 September 2009 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2009-04-21

A little peanut or canola oil should crisp it right up.

Posted: 26 September 2009 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-09-19

I appreciate the input, but no amount of oil’s gonna crisp anything up at 225 degrees.

I wish I could post pictures :(

Posted: 27 September 2009 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRank
Joined  2009-04-21

If your not cooking it for less than a few minutes at 225, which I know your not, then if you add oil to the skin it will help render the fat under the skin and give it a nice color and crisp after hours of cooking.

Posted: 27 September 2009 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-09-19

I’m wondering if direct V indirect might make a difference.  Cause there was nothing crisp about the skin yesterday, it was tough and a little chewy (not like chicken gets).  I have the opportunity to use a true hog roaster in a couple weeks, maybe the direct heat of the charcoal will improve the skin.  Either way I appreciate the input.

Otherwise, after about 8 hours, I couldn’t get the kids off of it.

http://picasaweb.google.com/skippyp/MsPiggy?feat=directlink

Posted: 27 September 2009 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRank
Joined  2009-04-21

I’d say do that near the end of the roasting process.  Put your hog’s skin side directly toward the coals to crisp it right up.  Kinda like how some folk do with ribs right when they are done.

Wow.  The pic of that young lady next to that wide open pig is a bit scary.

Posted: 29 September 2009 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2009-09-18

The skin will not get crispy unless you get the FEC up to 300-325 for a while.. The pig roaster is the way to go. I have done sucklings on my Klose and Oklahoma Joe stick burner, but not in the FEC100 or Amerique.
After going the Cookshack route I gave up on the stick burners!!