Whole Chicken Rubbed Right
Whole bbq'd chicken
From: GrampaBillsBBQ — June 3, 2010
Always use a thermometer to determine the doneness of your meat. Use standard temperatures for the meat you are cooking to avoid foodborne illnesses.
1 Whole chicken
1/2 c soy sauce (optional)
GrampaBillsBBQ.com's Bill's Dry Rib Rub to taste
GrampaBillsBBQ.com's Original Secret Family Recipe for basting and dipping
(Optional Step: Prepare a brine of 1/2 c soy sauce and enough water in a stock pot to cover the chicken. Keep chicken in brine, refrigerated, for a minimum of four hours.)
1. Start a chimney full of your favorite charcoal.
2. Remove chicken from brine and split down the breast side to splay it out flat. Sprinkle skin with Bill’s Dry Rib Rub to taste and rub to thoroughly coat.
3. Dump your chimney out and move coals to one side of your kettle grill (if not adjustable), or adjust height so that heat is indirect. Put the cover on the grill and check back in 20-25 min.
4. Check temperature and baste with Grampa Bill’s Original Secret Family Recipe and replace grill cover.
5. Continue checking temp and basting ~every 5min until desired temperature is achieved.
I’m a charcoal guy, so you’ll have to adopt to your gas grill. The same process should work in about the same time.