BBQ Meatball Subs
Courtesy of Mary Peach via examiner.com
From: epsteinm — July 13, 2009
1 lb. ground beef
1/4 cup plain bread crumbs
1 tsp. seasoning salt
1 large egg
1 small onion, grated or pureed
2 cloves garlic, minced
BBQ sauce, preferably ketchup based
Cheddar cheese, for serving (optional)
1. Combine the garlic, onion, egg, and seasoning salt in a large bowl. Add the Photo: Courtesy of Mary Peachbread crumbs, then the meat.
2. Roll into 1 ½ inch meatballs onto a baking sheet or piece of aluminum foil to keep them separated.
3. Drizzle a grill pan with olive oil or coat with canola oil. Add the first group of meatballs, there should be two or three batches, depending on the size of the pan.
4. Cook the meatballs for two to three minutes per side, then set it aside in a bowl. Continue with each of the batches. If you don’t have a grill pan, a skillet works great as well.
5. Meanwhile, heat the BBQ sauce in a crock pot on low heat. When the meatballs are cooked, add them to the crock pot and let them simmer for about 20 minutes, until the flavors are well blended.
6. Slice open the sub rolls and spoon in desired amount of meatballs. Top with the cheddar cheese. This can be served open faced for a party, or closed to keep the kids from making a giant mess.
7. This fabulous dish serves 12.
Sub Rolls aren’t necessary. Cole Slaw or potato salad is a good side.